Sunday, February 10, 2008

Friendship multiplies...

I don't know how many more posts I'll "need" to make today. Apparently, I'm in a talkative mode. Perhaps I have "Diarya" (a word coined by my friend, Dan Myers of the Blue Monster blog).

Friendship multiplies blessings and … soothes the soul. Baltasar Gracian

Have you ever noticed how many types of friends you need? I used to have one general type of person with whom I associated. Maybe my friends didn't all like each other, but I wanted them to. And, I usually found a coherence within my relationships with each of those people.

Lately I've noticed how many different types of friends I have. Many of my current friends would not be naturally drawn to being together. But they mix well at my parties.

Recent emails with grad school colleagues Alexandra Corning and Dan Myers; hours spent with my dear friend, Angela Burton of Guardian Kung Fu; new networking meetings, for instance with Patric Welch of Noobie, Inc.; an anchoring dinner out with Vickie Hildreth; and a 5 minute conversation with Monta Frazier all remind me of who I am.

Regardless of the differences between my friends nowadays - there is one thing that remains - the person who I am when I am with these various people is constant. We may talk about different topics. My friends may disagree on Obama vs. Clinton or daylight savings time in Indiana (don't even get me started on daylight savings time issues...) But they all create space for me to be the best of who I am - and that soothes my soul.

No comments: