Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Who do you need to be?

Who do you need to be?

Who do you need to become?

Honestly - are you living the life you believe you could or should? Most people probably aren't, so at least you're not alone if you aren't. But each of us could be living more of our innate purpose.

If you died tomorrow, what would you want people to say about you? What impact would you want to have made? I realize that 1. the question has been asked before and is perhaps cliche and 2. it is a little morbid to think about it.

Regardless of whether I'm just being morbid or whether I'm being banal, answering the question makes a difference.

Examining the question makes you look at your own life differently. Actually answering it makes you live your life (and relationships) differently.

I am sure you have a story about someone you love who you wish you could have told something specific to or someone who died and you had just had that conversation - so they knew what you felt. Those experiences change us. The challenge is to let ourselves live there, in that moment, in that painful reality long enough to be transformed.


When I die I want people to say things like - She changed my life. She saw the best of who I was. She knew more about me than I knew about myself. She understood me.

It's hard to write it down. But go ahead and write it. Email it to me if you want - I'd be honored to read it (leah a t confidencebook d o t com). Or hide it away in a shoe box. Or write it down then rip up the paper. It doesn't matter what you do, so much as it matters that you write it down.

What do you want people to say about you when you die?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read a snippet in Coffee News about a guy that wondered who would show up at his funeral when he died so he faked his death. He was sorely disappointed at how few showed up.